But now I continue my adventures, and I started the year with a BANG! Do you know the world´s northernmost settlement? So I have been to the Svalbard archipelago, situated between the mainland on Norway and the North Pole, it is a very fascinating place.
It was very cold, so I did not go out much, I am an African rhino after all, used to the African sun. But here a few interesting facts about this very special place:
1. Nobody is allowed to be born here.
2. Also nobody is allowed to die here either.
3. People do not wear shoes inside, including at restaurants.
4. There are more polar bears in Svalbard than people.
5. Due to the risk of meeting polar bears, it is also advised to bring firearms.
6. From around 19 April to around 26 August you will experience the Midnight Sun, meaning that the sun will never set below the horizon in that period.
7. From around 26 October to around 14 February, on the other hand, they have polar nights, meaning that the sun will never rise above the horizon, leaving it to be pitch dark all day and night.
8. They have the northernmost bar, post office, university, grocery shop, museum, ATM to name a few.
9. The Svalbard Global Seed Vault, located in an abandoned coal mine, contains seeds from all over the world in order to preserve them. The countries can get back seeds to regrow after for example crises.
10. You are not allowed to pick flowers.
Do you have any other interesting and fun facts to share?
I am already on the next plane for a new adventure, so much to share - it is a complete opposite world.